Top Five Approaches to Bring Out the Best in Others

Top Five Approaches to Bring Out the Best in Others

By Katharine Halpin

Image courtesy of Ambro at

Here are five ways to bring out the best in your team:

  1. Take time to prepare your message. Coaches find that people can articulate what they want for lunch but they cannot articulate what they want for their life, business, or their people. Give yourself the gift of time to first articulate to yourself “What do I want?”  Then write down, prepare and edit your message.  Be specific about your needs and expectations. Remember to include who, what, when, how and why. David Campbell says, “Discipline is remembering what you want.”
  1. Think about the other person’s needs, motives and goals. Then start your one-on-one discussion with an acknowledgement. Chris McGoff, author of The Primes, says that people crave acknowledgements just like food and oxygen. Different than a compliment, an acknowledgment specifies what the other person did to add value – based on fact, not just your opinion. Share specifically what has occurred to add value for a customer, a team, a process, a method or you.
  1. Provide context for your message. Why is this message important? Why is this person important? Why is the project important? Context is the bowl in which you carry your message.
  1. Take the needed time to communicate your expectations fully and thoughtfully.  You can’t bring out the best in others via a tweet, instant message, email or even a voice mail. You certainly cannot do it when you bump into a team member in the hall and your discussion feels like an afterthought to both of you because it happened by chance.
  1. Take time to listen fully. Listen for pauses in the conversation, for comments, and for questions. Listen for what is not said as well as what is said. Listen to the space between their words.  French composer Claude Debussy said, “Music is the space between the notes.” Effective communication often occurs in the unstated more than the stated.

About the Author


Katharine Halpin is one of the world’s foremost authorities on Team Alignment.  She has helped leaders double and triple their company’s revenues and value simply by aligning their teams properly.  Katharine is a 4th generation Entrepreneur.  Her career as a CPA, for what felt like 150 years, caused her to realize that team alignment drives value, revenue, profit and continuous improvement.  Katharine has coached leaders at all levels to create environments where 90% of the poor and marginal performers step up and take personal responsibility for delivering results and unleashing innovation and the other 10% self-select off the team within 60-90 days.

Katharine Halpin, MCC The Halpin Companies, Inc. 1-888-48COACH twitter: KatharineHalpin